Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chinese knots

Chinese knotting is a decorative handicraft art that began as a form of Chinese folk art in the Tang and Song Dynasty (960 - 1279 AC) in China. It was later popularized in the Ming dynasty. The art is also referred to as Chinese traditional decorative knots. In other cultures, it is known as "Decorative knots".

One major characteristics of decorative knot work is that all the knots are tied using one cord, which is usually about one meter in length. However, when finished the knot looks identical from both the front and the back. They can come in a variety of colors such as gold, green blue or black, though the most commonly used color is red. This is because it symbolizes good luck and prosperity.

There are many different shapes of Chinese knots. Culturally they were expected to ward off evil spirits or act as a good luck charm for Chinese marriages.

That's extracted from Wikipedia. My take on Chinese knots? All that is true and more. I am interested in everything Chinese as that is my heritage, my culture and my family. I became intrigued with Chinese knots moons ago but had never seriously looked into it until recently.

I had always wanted to try my hand at making those Chinese buttons you see on traditional Chinese outfits - the weaving of the cord was fascinating - it seems endless and the cord weaves in and out continuously. I told myself I want to try doing that!

My first attempt was doing "good luck" knot. See photo and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment