Sunday, September 12, 2010

Steamed glutinous rice - Loh Mai Farn

My "loh mai farn" turns out great. It didn't take me long to make it either and it was simple to make as well.

The ingredients I used were some leftover roast pork "char siew", one chinese sausage (lap cheong); some dried shrimp (har mai), slices of shallots, minced garlic, Chinese mushroom cut into slices and some seasoning - Chinese wine, oyster sauce, dark soya sauce, sweet sauce and sesame oil. Oh, about half a cup of water too. You can add spring onions as garnish at the end.

What I did was soak the glutinous rice overnight. Then the next day, I get my ingredients ready and after frying the shallots and garlic till fragrant, I add all the ingredients. Mix them together for about a minute or two, I then add the seasonings. Lastly, I poured in the rice and water. Remove it from stove and place the rice mixture in a dish.

Now is the time to get out the steamer. I used the bamboo steamer as you can see here and somehow bamboo steamer is much better than the metal one. When the water in the wok is boiling and steaming the rice, the steamer gives out the wood smell and it is so fragrant. I think the steamer is made out of pine or cypress wood while the trays in the bottom are bamboo. If you have one of this, you would know what I am talking about. Pine wood smells so good.

Oh, back to my steaming. Add water to the wok and place the steamer in the wok. Once the water is boiling, place the plate of rice into the steamer and steam for at least 30 minutes. If you want the rice to be softer, you can steam it longer. Note - the steam is real hot, so do be careful when you remove the plate or open the steamer.

And there you have your "loh mai farn". Not that difficult, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment