Saturday, January 1, 2011

Good luck traditions for the New Year

2011 is officially here and today is 1.1.11. As I ponder and reflect on the past years, I realized that almost every culture I have come across has some sort of a good luck dish to ring in the New Year.

In Malaysia, my home country, the Chinese would have "nien gao" (sticky cake) literally translated means "growth every year". It signifies prosperity and good fortune for the coming year.

In Holland where I have lived for 4 over years in the 90's, have their "Oliebollen" (oil balls) for New Year. It is like a yeast bread shaped like a small golf ball and deep fried, then sprinkled with fine sugar. Often, it has raisins and apples inside which symbolises a sweet and everlasting life.



Here in Texas, black eyed peas are the favourite dish for luck in the New Year. The traditional dish would be black eyed peas cooked with ham hock or salted pork but this year, I came across a recipe for black eyed pea soup with Italian sausage meat. It is different than what we usually have but it is very tasty and has that smoked flavor of Spanish paprika and Chipotle peppers. Rather Tex-Mexie and it is yum good.


1 comment:

  1. All the while I was trying to figure out what is 'black eyed pea'? Wasn't it a Band name? Now reading your blog and viewing the picture of your black eye pea soup, I get to know it is actually our 'mei dou' (in cantonese).... ha ha......I like 'mei dou' as a dessert.
    I think Holland's Oliebollen will taste nice and crisp . Dawndee

    ReplyDelete